Search the web!!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fire - As it is

This one is to illustrate how different people tend to perceive the nature of fire (as a personification of both good and bad)

the invisible force asked the kid, "who am I?"
and the child exclaimed, "you are the golden orb lighting up the sky"
"very true", replied the inner essence of the sun,
"i watch you playing all day and having fun"

"recognize me?", asked the invisible force of the forest fern,
and the tree yelled, "Oh No!! here comes the one that makes me burn"
said the force then, "surely, you must know, that was never my intention"
cried the tree, "whatever you might say, you bring forth my destruction"

"do u know me?", asked the invisible force of the lady of the house,
said the mistress, "you are the heat that cooks what is unripe",
"quite true", responded the invisible one,
"I help you prepare the food that everyone likes"

Everyone exclaimed in unison, "pray tell us who then are thee!"
the invisible force answered, "fire is me"
"i am to you, what you want me to be,
of my own, i have no nature"

I am the fire that lights up the funeral pyre,
I am the fire that is invoked by the holy sire,
I am the fire that burns with consequences dire,
I am the fire that fills up the heart with desire

3 comments:

  1. reminds me of the famous analogy given in vedAnta of how brahman is not associated with mAyA in just the same way the sun is not with the varied activities that take place in its light! but i'm yet to understand the no-self-nature part and the last line!

    as an aside, you can maybe remove the one-liner introduction.. its best if people find out the meaning themselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one - Rhyme scheme going awry in stanza 3. Some species of plants might actually be dependent on wildfires to germinate - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ecology

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for comments :)

    actually, i burnt my fingers at the coffee machine and one of the reasons for the post was that!!

    ReplyDelete